Science, technology, innovation to increase contribution to agricultural growth
Defining the development of science, technology, and innovation as an important task in creating the foundation and driving force for agricultural development, the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MoARD) set the target of increasing the contributions of science, technology, and innovation to agricultural growth through research, transfer and application activities.
Specifically, the contributions of total factor productivity to the agricultural sector’s growth will exceed 50% by 2030. In addition, the percentage of value of agricultural products according to good manufacturing processes will reach more than 40%. The rate of results from scientific and technological tasks with products such as seeds, input materials, technological processes, equipment, technical advances, etc., which are applied into practice, will reach more than 90% by 2025 and more than 95% by 2030.
At least 60% of research results will be recognised for technical progress and applied into production, about 15% of which will be registered for creative copyright and intellectual property. The total value of technology transfer and commercialisation of research results from research institutes and universities to enterprises will increase by 20% during the 2021-2025 period and 35% in the 2026-2030 period.
The sector will support the construction and development of at least 200 hi-tech agricultural enterprises that promote the cooperation and linkage chains from production to processing and consumption of agricultural products nationwide as well as 50-100 high-tech agricultural zones in agro-ecological areas. The proportion of enterprises with innovative activities will account for 60% by 2025 and 85% by 2030.
The MoARD will renew its thinking so that science, technology, and innovation can create a breakthrough to strongly develop Vietnam's agricultural economy. The sector will transform to a green and environmentally sustainable growth model and improve the productivity, quality, efficiency, and competitiveness of the industry.
It is crucial to improve the autonomy, role, authority, and comprehensive responsibility of the heads of science and technology organisations in strategic planning, scientific research orientation, technology application, and transfer and innovation. The ministry will renovate the national innovation system with enterprises as the centre and the universities and research institutes as strong research subjects. Much attention will be paid to the development of the innovative startup ecosystem.
The public-private partnership and the co-financing between State and enterprises will be strengthened for scientific research, technological development, and innovation tasks. The sector will mobilise and promote resources from the state budget, investment sources from businesses, the private sector and the foreign community and capital sources for research, application, innovation, and start-up activities. The ministry will create favourable conditions for businesses and economic sectors to participate in researching, perfecting technologies, transferring new technologies, and purchasing domestic and foreign technologies.